We are Land Buyers that buy land across the West Midlands and surrounding counties.
If you are a land owner, an agent, or you know someone that owns land or property that could have development potential or already has planning permission, particularly in Solihull, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Coventry, Warwickshire, Staffordshire, Shropshire or Worcestershire, we would love you to complete the enquiry form at the bottom of this page to contact us with details. We will then give you a FREE appraisal of the planning and development prospects of your land.
Land Wanted Criteria
We buy land / development sites for residential development that fit the following criteria:
- West Midlands and surrounding counties (approximately 50 mile radius / 1 hour drive radius of central Birmingham).
- East Midlands, around Leicester, Nottingham & Derby.
- Minimum 1 acre up to around 10 acres.
- Minimum GDV (Gross Developed Value) around £4m.
- Maximum GDV (Gross Developed Value) around £15m.
- With or without planning permission. *We have extensive experience of working with agents, land owners, housing associations and planning authorities to obtain planning permission whilst optimising land use and maximising land values.
CONTACT US: Please send us details of land you are interested in selling using the Land to Sell Contact Form at the bottom of this page.
*Mark Horsley, our head of land and planning, is a chartered Architect with over two decades of technical and planning experience. This in house capability means we can quickly produce sketch layouts and give you an opinion on the development prospects of your land. We are particularly skilled at dealing with challenging sites, whether the challenges are geotechnical or planning, and we have a track record of making sites work where others have not succeeded. If you have a challenging site please do get in touch to see if we can help unlock it.
We are specifically looking to buy land that’s suitable for any of the following;
- Affordable Housing: Land suitable for Housing Association / Registered Provider / Registered Social Landlord housing schemes. Typically these are sites where open market sale values would be low or where there is a local planning policy / housing need preference for affordable housing. Often these are brownfield sites which present a placemaking opportunity to regenerate an area, or land on the edge of existing settlements where planning permission may be possible under “rural exception” planning policy . The land wanted needs to be capable of delivering around 30 to 150 homes, mostly houses. Over the last few years we have gained particular expertise in successfully delivering these kinds of developments on a land, design and build basis working for clients such as The Wrekin Housing Group, Midland Heart and Accord. Examples of our Affordable Housing developments are Coddon Close, Bushbury Arms and St Peters View.
- Open Market Sale: The land wanted for open market sale developments needs to be in good suburbs, towns and villages where there is strong buyer demand for new homes. Our sweet spot is sites where we can build small developments of luxury bespoke homes like The Coppice. Agents, if you introduce a site to us we are more than happy to retain you for the sale of the completed new homes.
- Build-to-Rent: For this we ideally want to buy land in Birmingham suburbs or on the outskirts of Birmingham, close to good public transport links into the city. The land wanted needs to be suitable for build-to-rent of circa 10-40 units (houses, flats or mix). If you’re an agent with a lettings / property management arm, we will happily consider retaining you to manage the letting of the completed dwellings.
We will happily pay introduction fees to agents that introduce land or property to us that we go ahead and buy. Where the completed homes are to be sold we are happy to also retain the agent to deal with the new homes sales.
Landowners and Agents can rest assured that we have the knowledge, experience and financial resources to successfully deliver sites that we take on. We also have particular expertise in dealing with technically challenging sites, and have a track record of making sites work where others have not been able to.
Land Wanted – Examples of land development opportunities that may be of interest include;
- Brownfield land – the UK Government is giving priority to development of what they call brownfield land, before they turn their attention to releasing green-belt land. Brownfield land is generally land which has, or has had, a commercial use and includes things like office buildings, factory buildings, warehouses, workshops, trading estates, industrial units, garages, storage yards, etc. Whilst Brownfield sites are likely to be favoured by planning departments for residential development, expert negotiation will still be required to maximise the planning achieved.
- Automotive Sites – changes in the car and fuels industry means that a car showroom, workshop or petrol forecourt can have a higher value for residential development than it has to the existing business, making relocation or even retirement a very attractive prospect for the land owner. We can review the planning potential for the site discreetly, without causing any gossip or disruption for the existing business, and without obligation.
- Out of character / non conforming uses – You may own or have seen a commercial building, perhaps a small factory or workshop, in an area that is otherwise residential. These light industrial units were more acceptable in the Industrial Revolution than they are today. We can guide land owners on planning for modern town houses, cottages or flats more in keeping with the residential area. If you own such a building or you know someone that does, please contact us for a no obligation chat.
- Affordable Housing – There is currently huge need for more affordable housing in the UK and sites that are suitable can succeed in urban and rural locations where other uses may not obtain planning approval. Having successfully delivered several affordable housing schemes we have specific expertise in obtaining planning permission and contracting with Housing Association / Registered Provider end users. Please contact us to discuss your site to see if it might be suitable for promotion and development in this buoyant market sector.
- Barn conversions – If you own or know someone that owns farm buildings, we may be able to sympathetically convert some or all of the farm buildings into new homes. We have the specialist skills required for the planning and conversion process. Please contact us now for a no obligation appraisal.
- Green Belt land – If you own land that is currently in greenbelt please contact us for a quick no obligation appraisal of your land’s future development potential. If we believe your land has potential we can work on your behalf to promote the site through the planning process.
- Retirement Flats – the changing age demographic means the demand for retirement flats is growing. These developments can succeed on sites in central locations where other uses may fail. Contact us to discuss your site to see if it might be suitable for a development in this buoyant market sector.
- Wide or deep plots – Your wide or deep garden may provide space for one or more new houses to be built, without compromising the existing property. If so, we can assist you with the planning process and bear the cost risk of architect’s fees and planning fees required to obtain permission including any planning appeal. If part of your neighbour’s garden is also needed to make the scheme viable, we can negotiate with your neighbour(s) to save you embarrassment and agree a fair share of the profits for participating landowners. In some cases it may be better to demolish and replace an existing property. This is generally most likely where a bigger house can be built in a prime location or where more than one property could replace the existing house. We can very quickly assess these situations given our extensive experience, so if you have a house on a wide or deep plot and you wonder what can be done, please contact us for a no obligation chat.
- Back gardens – We have considerable experience of successfully assembling development sites from a number of long back gardens. We will work either with you, or discreetly on your behalf, to encourage your neighbours to join in with the scheme to allow us to assemble the best scheme possible. Because of the long term nature of these schemes, we urge home owners to contact us sooner rather than later so as to enjoy the benefit of any planning gain; it is heartbreaking to move house and see your successor make the small fortune that you missed.
- Sites with planning permission – If you own or know someone that owns a site that has been granted planning permission and you are looking for a developer to take on the scheme, please contact us as the scheme might be just what we are looking for next. For the right schemes we are willing to buy unconditionally.