Vacancy: Site Manager
We’re seeking an experienced Site Manager with a track record and passion for delivering new-build housing schemes on-time, within budget and ideally to award winning quality.
Site Based, West Midlands & Surrounding Counties.
The first site will be in Hixon, Staffordshire, where you’ll be responsible for setting up the site and building 30 houses for a leading housing association. We’re due to start on site in Sept/Oct.
As Site Manager you will be responsible for overseeing all operations on site to successfully deliver the construction project. You’ll prepare the development site for construction operations to start and then oversee day-to-day operations, ensuring that all work is done safely, on time, within budget and right first time and to the right quality standards. It will be your responsibility as site manager to own and drive the programme of works to make sure that project milestones and deadlines are met.
You will be assisted by a site forklift driver / site assistant who will report to you.
Your specific duties will include;
- Site setup prior to construction starting to ensure the site can operate efficiently and safely. Tasks to include;
- Preparing the site, including planning and installing welfare facilities, installing health and safety signage, temporary site offices, security fencing and access gates, temporary utility connections, secure storage facilities, site access roads and site parking area,
- Carefully planning the programme of works,
- Day-to-day management of site operations to ensure that the programme of work is carried out safely, on time and within budget and to the right quality standards. Tasks to include;
- Planning, management and monitoring of the programme of works,
- Thinking ahead to eliminate or minimise potential programme delays,
- Overseeing site logistics and ensuring the site is always kept safe, tidy and professionally presented,
- Coordinating and managing all site labour and sub-contractors,
- Sorting out any problems which could hold up work as they arise,
- Liaison with and between sub-contractors to resolve any issues and/or disputes,
- Keeping in close contact with all members of the site team to keep everyone informed and to maintain a good sense of team spirit,
- Encouraging all operatives to do their job “Right First Time” and be considerate of other trades / operatives in order to maintain an efficient working environment for all,
- Managing cost control and avoiding any cost overruns,
- Overseeing materials call-off, delivery and receipt / checking in,
- Liaising with Accounts Payable to verify materials delivered,
- Monitoring and signing off timesheets for site operatives as required and liaising with Quantity Surveyor / Commercial Manager with regards queries over working hours, day works and any other HR issues.
- Liaising with the Quantity Surveyor, Contracts Manager, Commercial Manager and/or Managing Director on procurement or commercial issues,
- liaise with directors, management, architects, engineers, surveyors and planners as required,
- Managing stock of materials efficiently to prevent damage, theft and wastage,
- Providing weekly progress, issues and KPI reports to management and directors,
- Participating in progress and programme planning meetings as required,
- Quality control of all construction stages and processes to ensure work is as per architects and/or engineer’s drawings and complies with building regulations, building warranty requirements (depending on the warranty provider) and health and safety legislation as well as other legal requirements,
- Carrying out Pre-Delivery Inspections and resolving faults to achieve zero faults at handover,
- Ensuring Health & Safety Policy is adhered to at all times, carrying out required safety checks and making sure that all documentation is complete and up to date.
- Preparation of method statements and risk assessments where applicable,
- Preparation of monthly contractors reports for the client and attendance at meetings as required.
- Customer Service
- Acting as a point of contact for the client.
- Accompanying and conducting site visits with the client, ensuring that Health & Safety Policy is adhered to at all times,
- Ensuring that all site staff are aware of and comply with relevant parts of the Wonderful Homes’ Customer Charter and the Consumer Code for Homebuilders at all times.
- Handing over plots to client, following the handover process checklist and completing handover forms,
- Resolving any post handover faults and issues,
- Ensuring that while construction operations continue, all site staff consider residents that have moved into plots with the aim of allowing them quiet enjoyment of their new home at all times.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications Required:
To succeed in this role you will need to have extensive experience, gained over a number of years, of being responsible for running, from start to finish, multi unit new housing development sites.
Skills you must have include;
- Being a good confident communicator,
- Being able to think logically and solve problems,
- Having experience of using a Personal Computer and in particular being competent at using Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word
Ideally you will also have;
- Experience of building for Housing Association / Registered Provider clients,
- Experience of managing sites in accordance with the Considerate Constructors Scheme,
- General building skills to get involved on site as required,
Qualifications you must hold as a minimum;
- CSCS Black or White card (Construction Site Manager – Residential)
- NVQ Level 6 in Construction Site Management
- First Aid at Work
- Scaffold Awareness and Inspection
- Asbestos Awareness
It would be useful if you also have;
- CPCS Telescopic Handler A17 Wheeled
- CPCS Slinger/signaller/banksman A40
Why Wonderful Homes:
Launched in March 2012, Wonderful Homes is an award winning house builder that has enjoyed consistent profitable growth through successfully delivering developments including starter and luxury homes for open market sale, and land, design & build packages for Housing Associations. As a result of this success we have significant own funds available to buy sites and have development lenders that are keen to fund our projects. We are therefore now well placed to scale up our operation and grow the business significantly over the coming years. We have ambitious growth plans and intend to become a leading regional house builder.
We are therefore able to offer the successful candidate the exciting and fairly unique opportunity of joining an established business early in it’s growth phase, as a member of the senior management team, and being part of what we are sure will be an extremely rewarding journey ahead with opportunity for career progression.
You will be required to work the hours necessary to carry out the role depending on the operational hours of each specific site. Typically this will be 7:30am to 5pm, 5 days per week, Monday to Friday.
Your salary will be commensurate with the responsibility of the role and skills required, and subject to negotiation. It will include a discretionary bonus and company pension scheme and will include the opportunity to grow and share in the success of the business as a key member of the management team.
We want to fill this position as quickly as possible but accept that we may have to wait for the right person to work a notice period with their current employer. Ideally we would want you in place by end September 2019.
How to apply:
To apply simply call our 24hr automated recruitment line on 0121 228 2218 to register your details. We will then call you back to follow up, typically the next day.
We prefer not to deal with recruitment agencies, and only applications made via our recruitment line will be considered.
Deadline for Applications:
Friday 30th August 2019